Re: Flash Less Flashy

by Rick Alexander <tralexan(at)mindspring.com>

 Date:  Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:59:48 -0400
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:46 PM 6/6/01 -0700, Ben Ocean wrote:
>Hi;
>I am looking for some tasteful examples of Flash that are less flashy than
>Macromedia promotes on their site. I'm a follower of Jakob Nielsen's
>philosophy and believe that Flash usually tends to detract from usability.
>However, I now have a client that really does need Flash. Can you folks
>give me a few examples of Web sites where Flash is used yet isn't
>ridiculously overdone to the point of being less of commercial value than
>it is art?

Ben,

While I would immediately concede that it pushes hard at the margins of
your criteria as it relates to being "overdone" (at least insofar as
loadtime is concerned)......

http://www.estudio.com/

constitutes a site that is both imaginative and easily navigated, a
combination that you don't often find in Flash based sites.

--rick

BTW - it might be worth some debate at some other time and in some other
venue as to whether or not "ridiculously overdone" is a valid definition of
"art"

Rick Alexander
Eighthday Web Design & Hosting Services
Knoxville, Tennessee