Re: Fireworks 3

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Dec 2000 16:33:44 -0500
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  webdiva(at)webdiva.screaming.net
>go about this in Fireworks 3? if it's not possible could suggestions be=
 made
>for another suitable graphics programme.

It is quite possible but you will have to modify how you think a graphics=20
program works.  Fireworks is a far more flexible program for that type of=20
thing because it's a hybrid vector/bitmap application that lets you do this=
=20
type of thing very easily.  Others have suggested methods to achieve this=20
that would be suitable in a pure bitmap application but this is far easier=
=20
to achieve in Fireworks.

I am now using Fireworks 4 myself (which I strongly suggest you upgrade to)=
=20
so my description may differ slightly from what you see in FW 3 as I'm=20
going from memory.  The way to achieve what you want is through=20
masks.  Fireworks can use any object as a mask unlike Photoshop who uses=20
layer masks.  The first thing to do is to go to the tool box and select the=
=20
oval shape tool (click on the rectangle shape tool and hold then choose the=
=20
oval tool).  You don't need to work with awkward marquee selections as in=20
PS.  Draw the oval shape and move it where you need.  If you want you can=20
scale it or enter new dimensions directly in the Info panel.  The shape is=
=20
a vector shape so it can be resized as many times as you which without a=20
problem.  Don't worry about the color of the fill, it's not important for=20
this kind of mask.  Once the shape is placed where you want it on top of=20
the image you want to crop (it doesn't matter if it's not perfectly placed,=
=20
you can change it later), shift click both the image and the oval shape to=
=20
select them both then go to Modify>Mask Group (I think)> Mask to Path and=20
the image should show only through the oval shape you drew.  You could also=
=20
select the image alone and cut it (CTRL-x or edit>cut), select the shape=20
then go to edit>paste inside.  Same result as Mask To Path.  The other kind=
=20
of mask in Mask To Image which would mask the image according to the grey=20
scale value of the shape's fill.  This could be used to have an image fade=
=20
to nothing gradually using a linear black to white gradient for example.

Now back to your mask.  When you select it you should see a "+" sign/handle=
=20
in the middle.  Use it to move your image around within the oval=20
shape.  You could even feather the edges by going to the Fill panel and=20
selecting the Feather setting in the Edge section and entering a feather=20
amount.  If your oval shape is almost as large as the image it may not=20
feather as well as you'd like but it usually works well.  The beautiful=20
thing with Fireworks and this method is that your image remains intact and=
=20
you can ungroup it from the oval shape at any time.  You can use the sub=20
selection tool (the white arrow) to select and edit the anchors and Bezier=
=20
handles on the shape while it's still masking the image.

>PS: Secondly, are there any good websites out there aimed at users of
>Dreamweaver 3 and Fireworks 3.

There are many sites.  Notable Fireworks sites include Project Fireworks=20
(http://www.projectfireworks.com) where you'll find many tutorials and many=
=20
extensions to make Fireworks even more powerful and Playing With Fire=20
(http://www.playingwithfire.com).  On these sites you'll find links to=20
numerous other Fireworks and Dreamweaver resources. The official Macromedia=
=20
news groups are also invaluable to get help on using any MM software.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron