Re: arrogant clients ? I don't think so

by "Judith C. Kallos" <webmaster(at)theistudio.com>

 Date:  Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:23:38 -0600
 To:  =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gr=E9goire?= Seither <gregoire(at)pobox.com>,
HWG Graphics <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hey, Gregoire....

Me thinks you are trying to be a trouble maker.....

At 08:31 PM 03/22/2001 +0100, Gr=E9goire Seither wrote:
>Judith
>
>as much as I find your arguments IN GENERAL very interesting and true, I
>cannot stop myself from finding them a wee bit, umh, ah, well,=
 "arrogant"...

Really??

>What is your legitimacy when you tell a client "this is wrong" ?

Hmmmm.... my experience for one.  Put to appease your curosity.... You want=
=20
wrong? How about having a graphic that is 1M in file size, or how about=20
using the font "wacky-dacker" for all site text, or how about using a=20
selection of non-Web safe colors, or.....

>Design ?

That is subjective and I work very hard to have each site reflect the=20
client's taste and personality as much as possible within guidelines I use=
=20
to make sure the site is cross-platform and as universally accessible as=20
possible.

>Aesthics ?

See above....

>How can you know what the desires of your client's customers are?

I do this silly things like discussing such issues with them!  And then=20
carefully listening to their input.  I give them a starter package that=20
contains worksheets and guides that then all them the opportunity of=20
detailing every single "desire" they may have including all they can tell=20
me about their market.

>Did you run your idea past them?

This /is/ getting silly!   <sheesh>  No, I just do whatever I want and=20
that's what they are stuck with.

>Something that is wrong to you might be
>right to someone else ?

Yikes.....  Don't think so.  Some things are just plain wrong.

>And, how do you justify the expense of designing a website for universal
>access when your connection logs show you that - for instance - only 0,1%=
 of
>your visitors use an antique version of a browser ?

Who said I did?

>How do you convince your
>client to spend an extra 10 days of developping in order to make his=
 website
>for people who are not in his client target ?

Why /would/ I do that?  Did I say I did?  Did I say I would?  Heck, I=20
didn't even comment on that issue.  Are you have a bad hair day?

>Why should he spend the extra
>money for that ? He's not getting any money out of it so should he just do
>it to satisfy the Nielsen Talibans ?

Gregoire, you obviously have some issues you need to deal with.  My post=20
was not about the matters you question me about.  One has to wonder if in=20
fact this is how you communicate with your clients, by not listening or=20
carefully reviewing what they have said .....

><snip>
>
>I have just finished testing the HTML slideshow that started the debate=
 with
>that panel and it works very well..

<snip> Whatever.  Pick a fight on another list other than the Guild's.  We=
=20
are all here to share opinions and ideas, if you insist on turning folks=20
posts into things they are not or making accusations as you have with mine=
=20
and others - you will find most folks won't be as willing to communicate=20
with you.

This thread is now completely off-topic and no longer productive.  If you=20
want to continue this conversation, please have mercy on the rest of your=20
fellow list members and email me privately.

/j