Re: I must be fuddle-brained: Photo effects in Paint Shop Pro?

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Sun, 16 Sep 2001 19:58:24 -0400
 To:  "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>,
<hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:46 PM 16/09/01 -0700, Kehvan M. Zydhek wrote:
>Roger, St=E9phane, John, Claus, Perelson, and HWG Graphics,
>
>Roger described something he wanted to do, and clearly stated he wanted to
>do it in PAINT SHOP PRO 7, not Fireworks, not Photoshop, not any other
>program. He described the effect he wanted, then theorized how to acheive
>it. He then said, "I'm sure it's dead easy..."

It is indeed dead easy and I for one have provided him 3 different means of=
=20
achieving this effect two of those being generic enough to be used in many=
=20
graphic apps including Photoshop and PSP.

>Now please don't take this the wrong way, people, but he set up the
>situation quite clearly. Saying he should do the effect in a different
>program, or giving instructions for other programs is unnecessary.

Again, maybe you should read people's posts carefully before accusing them=
=20
but I have not told him he "should" use any program over any other, I just=
=20
gave him alternatives ways to achieve the effect he asked for.  I used=20
Photoshop as an example because I know it well and do not have PSP=20
installed here and also because I believe PSP has much of the same=20
functionality as Photoshop.  That's at least what those who use and love it=
=20
claim.  I believe Roger is smart enough to use my generic instructions and=
=20
translate them to PSP.   I also know for a fact that Roger owns Fireworks=20
as I have helped him with Fireworks issues in the past so it was not=20
inappropriate at all to mention it.

>  To be
>fair, John Cox was the ONLY person (at the time of this writing) who gave
>the proper instructions (to the list, at least) for the proper program
>[Color/Colorize]. Everyone else GUESSED or gave somewhat more complicated
>instructions to acheive effects that were not quite what Roger was asking
>for.

That is _your_ opinion Kehvan.   If PSP does indeed support Duotones (which=
=20
I suggested Roger look up in PSP's help files by the way, a fact you seem=20
to have missed) it would have achieved exactly the effect he was after,=20
more so at least than merely colorizing the image.  The only way to=20
colorize an image with two precise colors that I know of is to apply=20
Duotone mode to a greyscale image.  It is a little more complex than=20
colorize but is far more precise and I think the suggestion was right on=20
the money.  I offered alternative methods in case PSP doesn't have an=20
equivalent to Photoshop's Duotones mode.  I didn't offer the precise=20
Photoshop steps precisely because I knew Roger wanted to do this in PSP so=
=20
I didn't want to confuse the issue further.  I offered the alternative=20
Fireworks way because I know Roger owns it (which you may not have known)=20
and because it's easy in it to achieve a similar effect using non=20
destructive live effects.  I fail to see anything wrong in that.

>PLEASE, everyone, if you don't know the answer, don't confuse the issue by
>giving out addition instructions that don't fit the circumstances. I'm sure
>you all meant well, but as Roger also mentioned, he is suffering from a=
 cold
>and is "befuddled of brain" so the wrong answers, while effective for OTHER
>programs or effects, might not be as helpful as intended.

Any answer with even partly pertinent info is a lot more constructive than=
=20
criticizing the people who at least tried to help without offering any help=
=20
yourself.  Experimenting with different solutions might help achieve better=
=20
results than first anticipated so again I fail to see what anyone did wrong=
=20
here.

>Okay. I'm stepping off the soap-box now. I just needed to vent, and I
>apologize if anyone was incensed over this. I tried real hard to be polite
>and not insult anyone.

It takes a lot more than this to insult me personally but I do believe that=
=20
your intervention was uncalled for and totally unhelpful.  If you had read=
=20
my post more carefully you might have seen that one of my suggestions at=20
least was right on target.  You may disagree with me wether offering=20
additional alternative solutions was helpful or not but quite frankly, this=
=20
is a matter of opinion that didn't warrant such a condescending reply and=20
that certainly was none of your business in this case since it concerned=20
only Roger and the people who at least tried to help him and did...

St=E9phane