Re: resizing

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Thu, 16 Mar 2000 09:11:18 -0500
 To:  "Jennifer C. Swartz" <eandscon(at)javanet.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Is there any way to resize a number of graphics which are not the same size,
>to be the same size without having the graphics proportionality corrupted?

In Photoshop, there usually are several ways to accomplish something.
Here's one  way to resize graphics while maintaining proportionality.
For this example, I'll assume the final size is going to be 300
pixels x 300 pixels, and you will need to both resize and crop each
graphic. Be sure to always work with a copy of the graphic, not the
original file.

Method Using Transform/Scale

1. Open the graphic in Photoshop.
2. Create a new document, 300 pixels x 300 pixels, to act as a size
template. The resolution should be set at the same resolution as the
graphic.
3. With both documents in view--the graphic and the blank 300x300
file--use the Move tool to drag the graphic image onto the size
template. This will create a new layer on the 300x300 template,
containing a copy of the graphic..
4. With this new layer the active layer, select the Scale tool (Edit
menu/Transform/Scale). A transforming box with handles at each corner
will appear over the image.
5.To resize the image, place the cursor over a corner handle. It will
turn into a double arrow. Now hold down the shift key, while dragging
the corner handle to resize the image. The shift key makes the
resizing proportional.
6. Since the graphic initially is larger than the 300x300 template,
only part of it shows. As you're resizing, you want to select the
area of the graphic you want to keep, as it will end up being
cropped. Stop dragging with the cursor (release the mouse), and move
the cursor inside the image. It turns to a single arrow. Now drag the
image, to get the portion of the image you want in the 300x300 area.
7. Alternate between resizing (step 5) and determining  where the
image will be cropped (step 6) until you get what you want.
8. Press the Enter or Return key to finalize the resizing.
9. Save, and voila!

Another method is to use the Rectangular Marquee tool with its Style
(in its Options palette) set to Constrained Aspect Ratio, but I think
the Transform/Scale method gives you easier control over selecting
the part of the image to be cropped.

Jeff