Re: Fireworks

by jdowdell(at)macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

 Date:  Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:52:11 -0700
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 3:29 PM 8/2/0, Jean Yates - Avalon of Oregon wrote:
> How about dodge and burn?

Yes, if you need to correct the color values in a photograph, then a
photo-processor is still a useful tool.

>And in Photoshop, you can select a area and just apply changes to that area-
>can you do that in Fireworks? I have hunted and hunted through help sites
>and their manual and can't find out how.

In Fireworks you can work on *objects*... no need to manage selection sets
of pixels.

If you'd like to do some RGB manipulations to a particular group of pixels
then use Curves or whatever in the Xtras menu, but I'd really encourage you
to use the LiveEffects upon the live vectors... it gives you a lot more
editing freedom.

(There's a difference between a photo-processor and a design tool... the
basic operations of drawing a triangle, putting text on a path, reshaping a
stroke, changing the colors of multiple objects, using repeating symbols...
all of these simple everyday jobs can be significant roadblocks in a
photo-processing tool. They're great for correcting scans, though.)

jd