Re: Geneva font for Mac...

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Sun, 12 Sep 1999 17:06:53 -0400
 To:  "Gary Tai" <sgtai(at)interlog.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Gary--

I should have added that Geneva is a TrueType font. The original
Geneva was part of the font set that shipped with early versions of
the Mac operating system, before TrueType existed, even before
PostScript existed. It was a bit-mapped font, suitable for the
screen, but kind of jaggedy when printed (back in the days of the
9-pin ImageWriters).

When Apple switched to TrueType technology, a TrueType version of
Geneva became available.

Some of these changes were related to licensing issues: i.e., Adobe
owns PostScript.

BTW, I think you probably can find a shareware application that would
enable you to convert a Mac TrueType font to a Windows version,
although I don't think you'd really want to bother with that.

Also, I wonder whether your client really wants Geneva; or whether
your client requested it because s/he is only familiar with the
limited set that ships with the Mac. You might want to try showing
your client some text using Verdana. With stylesheets, you can
specify font priorities, so Geneva (or Arial) could be a backup font
that would be used if the other choices aren't available.

--Jeff