Re: setting up servers

by John.ksi(at)webplus.net

 Date:  Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:34 EST
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I'm a solo web designer and I get a lot of requests about
> hosting. What does it take to set up a co-located server at
> a local ISP and what kind of knowledge would be needed to
> maintain such a setup?

That's a broad question with lotsa answers.  A colo service sometimes
provides their OWN servers and manages them for you.  Or you
can install a server of your choice and depending on the expertise
at the colo service, they can manage it for you or they take a
hands-off approach and it's up to you to do sysadmin stuff.

Your sig shows Arlington, VA.  You probably can't go too far
wrong if you go with either PSINet, Frontier GlobalCenter (aka
Global Crossing), or Interliant - all in the NoVA area.
One of the first things they'll ask you, btw, is how much
bandwidth you think you'll need.

-John Koch                               -  -  -  __o
Knowledge Systems, Inc.              -  -  - -  _ \<,_
<John.ksi(at)webplus.net>                   - -   (_)/ (_)