Re: Hosting reference?

by "Kevin A. Jackson" <kevin(at)nvision.on.ca>

 Date:  Wed, 03 Apr 2002 13:03:09 -0500
 To:  <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:09 PM 4/2/02 -0500, Capt. Ron wrote:
>Kevin =
>I haven't been following this thread, but what you just wrote is crazy.
>There are several first class hosts in Canada.
>In fact, we are down in Florida and almost went with any one of three in
>Toronto and Vancouver before deciding to spring for our own server locally.

Hi Ron,

Believe me I know it sounds crazy, it has had me concerned for some time -
what I think it shows is that the local hosts that I have looked at either
didn't meet my criteria (very stringent), or they are bad at marketing to
their own region, because I have not found them. There are also many who
claim to be Canadian hosts who are just reselling for one of the US hosts,
and they are not up front about this - you have to dig to find this out. In
this case you pay the US dollar rate anyway, because they just pass on
their costs.

Being in the US you may not notice how it affects other currencies: a US
host, or a Canadian one will look like the same pricing, but what seems
cheap to you is often exorbitant when passed through the exchange.

I would be curious to know which companies in Canada you would recommend,
looked at from your perspective.

Cheers

Kevin Jackson

--
Biz-Zone Internet Group Inc.
Web developers, publishers and consultants.