Re: mail server

by Dave Navarro <dave(at)basicguru.com>

 Date:  Mon, 06 Nov 2000 18:05:28 -0500
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11/6/2000, you wrote:
>I am trying to set up an email server on a NT box without much luck.  I have
>found a couple of articles at Microsoft but they are incredibly long and
>cover a lot of topics not related to mail.  Does anyone know of a good
>online resource that is easy to read?  Maybe I am wrong, but I can't imagine
>that one must read thousands of pages relating to DNS and zones just to get
>pop3 mail working  : )

Actually, if you want to run your own mail server, then at least a minimal
understanding of DNS is necessary.

 From what little info I find in your message, I assume your trying to use
Microsoft Exchange for your mail server?

Do you have both the POP3 and SMTP services up and running?

Once both are up and running (and configured properly), then you simply
point the MX record on your DNS server to your machine (which must be
connected 24 x 7 to the Internet).

There are third-party email servers you can buy that will use dialup or
part-time accounts to run an internal mail server.

--Dave

HWG: hwg-servers mailing list archives, maintained by Web Professional Association - IWA