Re: file/path names

by Eric Meyer <emeyer(at)theopalgroup.com>

 Date:  Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:36:42 -0400
 To:  "HWG-Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"HWG-Style" <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 9:50 -0500 4/26/01, Ed Peddycoart wrote:

>I see the gray strip when viewing in NN4.76, but not the others (IE, N6,
>Opera).  What am I screwing up here?  I thought the paths specified in the
>CSS file would be relative to the html file which links in the css file.

    No, they're relative to the stylesheet itself, whether it's an
external file or embedded within the document.  Navigator 4.x got
this wrong, and always interpreted all URLs relative to the HTML
document[1].  The usual cross-browser fix is to use absolute URLs
instead of relative ones, or else ensure that your HTML and CSS files
are in the same directory.

[1] See <URL:http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/current/sec64.htm> for
a test case.

--
Eric Meyer
Internet Applications Manager        e-mail: emeyer(at)theopalgroup.com