Re: Netscape 6 -- slightly off topic

by "Comharsa" <comharsa(at)clara.net>

 Date:  Mon, 10 Apr 2000 16:42:27 +0100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
From: "Jack Beslanwitch" <jack(at)webwitch.com>
> Also, contrary to most who have been voicing problems, I have had no
> problems whatsoever with Netscape 6. It is stable, no crashes. About the
> only annoyance is that it does not seem to support dynamic animation.
Then,
> again, this is barely a beta and certainly miles ahead of the mozilla
> builds. Still doubtful that this will be enough to stem that erosion of
its
> market share. At 20 to 22%, Netscape is very very far behind. It would
need
> something truly revolutionary to draw people back. Well, I suppose AOL
> could switch to its own browser.

By dynamic animation are you referring to DHTML? If so then it won't support
the way it is currently done even in the final release. This is because the
DOM it uses is different to the ones used by IE and NS4. NS6 is using a
different one which is standards compliant and so cannot be backwards
compatible. It means that DHTML scripts are now going to need three versions
instead of two, if you want to be useable cross-browser.

While I applaud their decision to try and be as compliant as possible, I
cannot help feeling that this will only reduce their userbase as people
upgrade only to find many sites breaking.

Brian
comharsa(at)clara.net