Re: Another Dumb Tags Issue

by "tim booker" <timbooker(at)btinternet.com>

 Date:  Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:21:21 +0100
 To:  "Nancy J. Foster" <nancyf(at)quillandmouse.com>
 Cc:  "Hwg-Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Well,

It sounds like you need the following meta tag to prevent smart tags in your
page:

Nancy, I'm not too happy with the idea of smart tags in IE.  I'm sure that I
will disable them in my browser when I need to.

However, I'm simply pointing out the fact that the web designer has no
influence as far as the tools I use to browse the web.  If I find smart tags
helpful, and choose to use a browser that implements them, that is MY
choice, not the designer's.

It's the equivalent of hacking a JavaScript that prevents the user hitting
the back button to leave your site.  The web designer, simply, should have
no control over the functionality of my chosen browser.

Your example of the American Football teams is interesting.  Preventing the
user finding sites about your competitors is against the whole philosophy of
the web: instantly putting information into context, using a series of
hypertext links.

Tim