Re: Moving from HTML 3.2 to HTML 4...

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>

 Date:  Wed, 23 Feb 2000 02:15:11 -0000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
<ideas(at)creativegenius.ca>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Simon -

> I read with interest your post concerning your wish to migrate to a higher
> version of HTML for the re-development of your client's site.
>
> I have one observation to make, you indicate that the client seems to be
> enjoying an increase in traffic, likely as a result of now being listed on
> several search engines (as the site has been "up" now for over a year.

SOCOM came to us just about a year ago; since then, we've not only
re-designed the existing site, but maintained it for them. The current
effort is to build on the overall success of the site, but to increase the
visibility of it as well. Adding the site to the majority of the
better-known directories and engines was, obviously, part of the design and
promotion process.

> I have no problem with you wanting to give the site an overall facelift,
> but I would caution you to retain the existing page names given to each of
> the pages within the site (as it is now).  If you re-design the pages and
> at the same time elect to use different page names you are introducing the
> risk of reducing your client's site traffic through "broken links" being
> found by major search engines "looking" for the old page addresses - all
of
> which will provide 404 errors.
>
> Just my view from here ...

And a good view as well. As it happens, the sales side of the site (Kent
Commando) is being wound down, as the gaming side of the site is the
money-making aspect of the business for them. They'll still be selling the
gear, but on a reduced level. With this in mind, we have already installed
an "oops!" page, and will be merging the KCL pages into the SOCOM side of
the site. Existing SOCOM pages will not be renamed, but new ones, formed
from the content of the merged KCL pages, will be added. That's about all I
can say on this right now, anyhow.

Thanks for the swift response, by the way!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Intelligent Web Design Services
    http://iws.n3.net/
Contact me for my PGP Public Key.

Webmaster for the Impossible Scenarios Group
    http://www.the-isg.co.uk/index.html