Re: best body text <snip> - css

by "Angel One" <angelone(at)angelonearth.net>

 Date:  Sun, 14 Oct 2001 16:11:34 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
    Hi All,
    Is there something somewhere that is CLEAR on what takes precedence
using css? When a statement says something "has more weight", it sounds to
me like it overrides something with "less weight". "By default, author
declarations have more weight than user declarations. Precedence is
reversed, however, for declarations that are marked as 'important'." In that
case, the author's style sheet would override the user's style sheet (unless
they have marked it as important?). But I've been told just the *opposite*
is true......
    Do we expect the visualy impaired to KNOW that they HAVE to mark their
style sheet as important?
    Again, with "order of importance";
> According to Steven Mulder's "Web Designer's Guide to Style Sheets," the
> > order of importance is:
> >
> > 1. Inline (style attribute)
> > 2. Embedded (style tag)
> > 3. Linked (link tag)
> > 4. Imported (@import)
> > 5. User's style sheet
> > 6. Browser's default style sheet
  - Dosen't this say the user's style sheet will be overridden by the
author's style sheet? Am I missing something?
    Then there's this (from
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-css3-cascade-20010713/#cascading ):
"Declarations in imported style sheets have lower weight than declarations
in the style sheet from where they are imported. Imported style sheets can
themselves import and override other style sheets, recursively, and the same
precedence declarations apply."   -- HUH?
    TIA,
        Paul