Re: Server Question

by "Peter Newton" <c-newton(at)ihug.co.nz>

 Date:  Sun, 9 Apr 2000 21:57:58 +1200
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Nice one Brian,

Thats a must do for me I already have activstate perl
but I did not realise that you can have apache for windows
aswell. Thanks for showing the links to apache.
This would be a great way to prepare for having you own
machine on the net.

Many Thanks
Peter Newton

Brian A Sayrs wrote ..............................

Susie,

If you're just using it for yourself (that is, you want to
run files on your own computer, not start your own .com
site) then it's relatively easy.  Normally I wouldn't be
able to make a statement about that, but, as it happens, I
decided to answer that question for myself this morning.

I'm running Win98 here on my laptop, where I have installed
ActivePerl (www.activestate.com, I'm primarily a CGI guy)
and the Win32 version of Apache (www.apache.org/httpd).  I
installed both and now I seem to have a fully functional web
site.  There is a file called httpd.conf in the Apache conf
directory which configures the server, and each section of
the file explains things pretty nicely, and it comes with
lots of documentation which the server is more than happy to
serve to you once it's running.  I set the BindAddress and
ServerName to 127.0.0.1 so that it only responds to requests
on this computer (that's the IP address that a computer
calls itself), and if you use http://127.0.0.1 you get your
own server on your own computer, and no one else can access
it.

I fully intend to debug everything on my computer now, then
only send it to the server when necessary.  :)  It was one
thing to see my HTML documents in Arachnophilia, but I
needed that server to run the perl scripts.

HTH,

Brian A. Sayrs
Owner, Southwind Solutions