Re: Identifying location by host IP number

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Mon, 26 Jun 2000 02:54:13 -0700
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
"David Sharp" <David.Sharp(at)sharp-words.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
David,

While I don't know of any IP indexes that would cover what you are looking
for, keep in mind that users of AOL, regardless of where they are, will
appear to be visiting from Richmond, Virginia (I know this is fact for
US/Canada, and suspect it for other countires as well). With an estimated
15-20 million users on AOL, if your site presumes to guess their location
based on their IP, you may well present incorrect pages to some people who
use AOL from England for example (again, if AOL users in England still "exit
to the Internet" from AOL's HQ in Richmond).

Just something to keep in mind...

Kehvan