Re: A Very simple ordering system

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Sat, 5 Feb 2000 07:47:21 -0500
 To:  "HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You don't need a shopping cart, Tom.   Sounds to me like a simple sevure
invoice will do it for you...assuming you are even collecting payment from
this page, which isn't quite clear to me.

The shopping cart allows the customer to browser different pages in your
site, collecting information/items from each while continuing to browser.
Because of the stateless nature of the Internet, this would not be possible
without some way to keep a record of what's been selected so far...thus the
cart.

If all your ordering is done from one page, and the customer doesn't have to
go to any other pages to read details or otherwise leave the ordering page,
then you don't need a cart.  Just place the order from the page in question.

JavaScript can indeed present some opportunities for value-added service by
totalling things as they are selected.  Remember, though, that not everyone
will be able to use JavaScript, so your CGI application should be capable of
handling the order just as though no JS were used.

Darrell