Re: Drumbeat and Unix

by "Comharsa" <comharsa(at)clara.net>

 Date:  Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:08:29 +0100
 To:  "Joanne Butt" <J.A.Butt(at)hud.ac.uk>,
"'hwg-techniques'" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
> have looked all over MM's site and I can't find anything to say about
> whether Drumbeat is compatible with a Unix server and if it isn't is there
> 'patch' or plugin to make it compatible.
> Does anyone have a clue?
> Thanks
>
> Joanne Butt

Before you decide you may want to look at
http://www.macromedia.com/software/ultradev/ . Ultradev is the codename for
a new program built by the creators of Drumbeat that is supposed to be
released in June. It is the replacement for Drumbeat and is built using the
Dreamweaver architecture, and MM will only be supporting DB until the end of
the year.

On the other hand, anyone who buys DB after the announcement date (5 April)
will qualify for a free upgrade to UD, which means that you will then own
both (two learning curves :-)). UD is much more extensible in the way that
DW is. I know that this doesn't answer your question, but apparently UD will
be able to output in a number of formats such as asp, jsp and cfml, and from
the FAQ:

"What servers will UltraDev support?
Any ASP 2.0, Cold Fusion or JSP 1.0 server including Microsoft IIS, Allaire
Cold Fusion, IBM Websphere, BEA WebLogic, and Netscape Enterprise Server."

There are a number of newsgroups discussing this topic at the moment so feel
free to email me if you would like any details.

HTH

Brian
comharsa(at)clara.net