Re: Credit Card processing

by "Paul Roberts" <hwg(at)roberts200025.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:00:06 +0100
 To:  "\"Nate Harel\"" <nharel(at)nettech-services.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
if you live in the USA it's simple, as they load a USA form, even if you =
preload the address including the country!=20

there's a link called "outside US" next to the zip code or similar, if =
they can find it and click it,  then it's easy. 99% of people who tried =
to pay and where from outside the US gave up trying, paypal don't seem =
interested in changing this or listening to any of the other suggestions =
i made to them either.

I'd get a proper merchant account the charges are not that great, i set =
one up in the uk for a non-profit, the advantages of a real merchant =
account are you have full control, if your talking over $1000 a =
transaction then the cost will be low as fee's are based on yearly $s =
processed.

I liked  http://www.echo-inc.com/merchant_america.html=20
they have a php library so you can write your own transaction processing =
system. as i don't have a US bank account i couldn't try them out. (the =
Monthly Fee  is only charged if you process a transaction.)

BTW as you're in the usa, then the fees are lower than elsewhere in the =
world where the market is more regulated. we had to pay =A3300 set-up =
and 5% and also find a payment processing provider which costs again. =
but we still made the money back in less than one month from people who =
couldn't pay with paypal and where still interested. overall the cost =
isn't much more then with paypal and the majority of our takings for =
membership fee's are online.

Best Wishes

Paul Roberts
mail at Paul-Roberts dot com