Re[2]: Limited Options AGH!

by Nathan Lyle <natelyle(at)chartermi.net>

 Date:  Sat, 27 Oct 2001 09:50:22 -0400
 To:  javascript <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I'm sorry.  They've well and truly stuck you between a rock and a hard place
> havent' they.

Yes.

> Which school is this?

Northern Michigan University. (Upper Peninsula of Michigan)

> I live in country Australia and my
> son's high school even has perl and php installed on their intranet.

I was told that at a meeting a short while ago someone made the
comment that "we don't support Javascript" which should give an
indication of the mindset involved here. To me, that's almost like
saying "we don't support HTML".

> One option is to try to educate your school and beg/cajole/annoy them into
> installing at least perl.  Tell them what they want is IMPOSSIBLE.

The *have* a CGI bin alive and well on the server, they just don't let
anyone *use* it. And the frustration is that the folks controlling the
server aren't the ones who are trying to provide services via the web.
It would be worse if it were the ones saying "no" that were also
asking for something to be done, but those folks (I think) are just
waiting for me to graduate and leave the university and stop giving
them headaches. ;-)

> I can add your domain to my list of allowable sites on my copy of FormMail
> if you like (as long as the number of hits isn't too high).  If my host
> starts to complain I can just take you off again.

Thank you for offering, but don't worry about it. We decided a while
ago to not use 3rd party server space to host scripts (or I could even
use space on my student account on a different server on campus)
because we want to get something up that will last at least a little
while as I may not be available to work for them in a few months. I'm
basically trying to set up the fort right now so it will stand alone
after I'm gone. But, I'm thinking maybe I should set up my own server
and talk them into a small business deal. :) Actually seems the most
reasonable way to get this done.

~Nathan Lyle   (The Tragic Comedian Poet)

Email: natelyle(at)chartermi.net
Phone: (906)485-4806
  Web: www.nathanlyle.com

"There are only twelve tones. You must treat them carefully." - Paul Hindemith