Re: HTML formating app?

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:25:03 EST
 To:  mheliker(at)ncrel.org,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have to look after a site that has lots of pages written with Front Page,
MS Word and Adobe Golive.   You should see the mess that these apps can
generate!!!   From Golive, I was presented with one page to work on that had
a table with 85 columns and nearly 100 rows  - they had used the grid to
move things about and the code was munged like you wouldn't believe.

I bring the pages into Dreamweaver and tidy them up there.   Dreamweaver is
totally customisable - you want two new lines before a <tr>?  no problem.
All <p> tags with two lines before, one line after, and content indented?
No problem.  Just edit the SourceFormat.txt file.

Using the CleanUpHTML you can combine the messy Font commands that Front
Page leaves behind with a single menu selection.  (e.g. <font size="2"><font
color="blue"><font size="1"> will be combined into <font color="blue"
size="1">)

It's not batch processing, but it's as close as you're going to get I think.

Or else you could use UltraEdit, which has wondrous macro capabilities, and
can edit and replace over hundreds of files at a single go.   You could
search and replace for all <td> and replace with cr/lf/tab<td>

Hope this helps you.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development