Re: stylesheets and border

by "Peter-Paul Koch" <gassinaumasis(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Sat, 08 Jul 2000 15:50:54 GMT
 To:  WebProgrmr(at)aol.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I new to CSS borders, so naturally I can't seem to get them to work
>properly.

General cross-browser syntax:

border-width: #px;
border-style: solid;
border-color: #000000 (or whatever color you want);

See the already quoted Mastergrid for more details on border-style.

You can also do border-top-width, border-bottom-style etc. for specific
definitions of one of the four border lines.

>To the point, here's a graphical picture of what I'm trying to do.
>http://members.aol.com/webprogrmr/tableborders.html

This is very difficult. A table would be the best solution, but you can't
control the borders very well (NN4 bugginess).

Or you can try making the grey lines next to the title a background image
and do something like:

<H3><SPAN>Title</SPAN>&nbsp;</H3>

h3 { width: 300px;
    background-image: url(grey_lines.gif);
}

h3 span {color: red;
      font: etc.}

so that you place the actual title and red colour in a span and use the H3
only for the background image and the width.

But, as I said, this is a very tricky design and it wouldn't surprise me if
this solution doesn't work in some browsers (NN4 springs to mind).

ppk