Re: Way off topic and I apologize

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Sun, 19 Mar 2000 13:45:45 -0600
 To:  "hwg-business" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>,
<hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>,
"hwg-techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Absolutely no legal experience here...but just some thoughts.

You know, I agree but at the same time, I have the feeling we are talking
about more than $10 here and whilst the thought of "revenge" may be
delicious, yes, it's a *very* bad idea. However, there is nothing wrong,
and in fact, everything right with justice if you can get it... :)

I think it's *really* important that you are *so* professional that it will
knock their socks off! Do NOT get down in the gutter with them :)

Here's what *I* would do....

First of all (if you haven't already done so) a phone call to the
Manager...go right to the top. Explain the situation politely *without*
losing your cool and be sure to be accurate with *everything* you say in
case it gets to the court stage.

Tell him/her that you are surprised that the money hasn't been forthcoming
since you had gained the impression that they were not the sort of folks
that would knowingly not pay for work done. Ask firmly but politely for the
money to be paid by a specified date and see what sort of reaction you get.
You might even say that you're sure they've just "overlooked" paying
you...even if you know darned well they haven't LOL. If they yell and
scream..don't yell and scream back.

Ya catch more flies with honey than vinegar :)))))

It sounds a bit like you have already had a "run in" with these people, so
it might be a bit late for this approach...in which case...

Plan B:

Write them a polite letter and include an invoice setting out in detail
exactly how much they owe you and specify what work was done. Inform them
that if the money is not forthcoming by a set date, you will be taking
steps to collect the outstanding amount. I'm not aware of the cost involved
so I might be suggesting something you can't afford...i.e. Small Claims
Court/Letter from an Attorney etc.

I don't now how large this company is either, so it could be that one
mention of legal action will scare the living daylights out of them and
they'll pay up...but if we're talking MGM here, don't expect much
{{{{shivering}}}} in the boots :) But, whatever you do, don't threaten if
you can't follow through..they might just call your bluff.

I wonder if you could snag them on copyright too. I mean, sure, it's
*their* site, but you created it and if they're passing the work off as
their own, that might be another avenue. I might be completely off the wall
with that one...but just another thought.

If they owe you thousands, then it *might* well be worth pursuing..if it's
a coupla hundred bucks, you're probably better off chalking it up to
experience.

I'd be madder than a wet hen if it happened to me and I'm not sure I could
just write it off to experience.

Sorry it happened to you.

Kym

At 07:52 PM 03/18/2000 -0500, Rossi Designs wrote:
>It happens from time to time, don't sink to their level. Bad word of mouth
>can hurt your business more than not getting paid for one job. In the future
>don't turn on your computer until you have half the money up front.
>
>Rossi Designs
>(904) 226-8979
>P.O. Box 1084, Holly Hill, Florida 32125-1084
>http://rossidesigns.net

Never slap a man that is chewin' t'baccy....

FoJo Media -  for Creative Web Design and Marketing Services
http://www.fojomedia.com

Visit our garden to enhance your website with FREE graphics...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/garden.html

In conjunction with Makin' Waves Studio
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/index.html

A tribute to my Mother who recently passed away
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/4441/tribute.html