Re: Need your advice...

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Mon, 17 Jan 2000 10:01:28 +0000
 To:  Keiko Schneider <kschnei(at)iwaves.net>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  kschnei(at)iwaves.net
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:54 PM 1/17/00 , Keiko Schneider wrote:
>To all,
>This e-mail came through an education listserv.  Do you think he is really
>going to register for free on my behalf?  Sounds like it is a scam.  What
>do you think? TIA.
> >
> >Would you like your website registered on over 100 search engines
> >and link pages.
> >
> >We can accomplish this within 24 hours! Absolutely FREE!

Hi Keiko,

100 search engines are not the top 7-10, .. so it sounds like this is some sort of automated processing. In addition, a list of 100 is nowhere near a complete list (that is almost 1000 now), so it does not ring true to start. I would guess that they register the first 100, then offer to do the rest for a fee. The top 7-10 are really the most important.

If you're in the business, get one of the bulk programs (like Traffic Builder or one of the OEM variants), .. and if you're specializing in the marketing side check out Web Position Gold. If you really need top positioning, it is a fairly big project that would almost certainly incur a fee for the time involved.

Bottom line, whether it is a scam or not, it does not appear to be a valid request. You should be doing the top engines yourself, .. and automating another 700+ is a simple matter of downloading the software.

         HTH,

          Lee