Re: Relational Databases

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Thu, 06 Apr 2000 10:00:26 -0700
 To:  Paul Kmecak <paul.kmecak(at)bms.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 06:33 AM 4/6/00 , Paul Kmecak wrote:

>Following this thread I read about Access and ASP and Cold Fusion running on web
>servers and PWS (Personal Web Server, right?), so I am confused.

Hi Paul,

Access and ASP are NT/IIS, .. CF is basically NT (basically their own server) though they have some Unix versions (but VERY Pricey). Allaire has promised a version for Linux, .. but it had not materialized yet to my knowledge.

>First, is my ISP "misinformed" about running Access on a UNIX based server?  How
>is it done?

No, your ISP is not misinformed. Access is part of MS Office, .. and runs on NT/Winxx. SQL Server is part of Back Office, .. which is getting a lot pricier - $2K and up for a fully functional NT/Back Office, software only.

>Second, what would be bare bones necessary to set something up?  How technical
>do I have to be?  Please throw in "nice to haves" but label them as such.

Access/IIS requires a BIG server with LOTS of memory. We tested with a 166/64MB and it took over a minute to load on ASP page created with DrumBeat (we gave up at that point and did not bother to try and figure out where the problem was actually occurring).

PHP/mySQL is *much* more efficient - we get screaming performance on a 133/32MB.

>Third, what can/should I expect/need from  my ISP?  Are there ISPs (like
>Geocities.com) that would be more cooperative and cheaper?

Most ISPs will not support DB servers for free, due to the overhead. We have a few 'friends' for whom we provide cost server space, .. but I would not even think about setting up a DB system for them.

If you shop around, you will find hundreds of hosting shops offering packages with SQL Server, PHP, mySQL, ... just don't expect it for free.

>Fourth, can I simulate the server experience on my own machine with Personal Web
>Server?  What can I expect PWS to do and not do?

PWS does work (from reports, never tried it here), .. but dealing with all of the Winxx configuration/software issues is a nightmare. The learning curve is a LOT steeper than Unix/Apache, IMHO, .. and you are locked into commercial products costing big $$ when you wish to go into production.

OTOH, if you like MS products and have the budget, they *are* a lot prettier <g>!

        Lee