Re: Low end users

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sun, 14 May 2000 16:04:13 +1000
 To:  Adrian Harris <adrian(at)gn.apc.org>,
hwg-techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'day Adrian,

At 12:51 11/05/00 +0100, Adrian Harris wrote:
>What is the lower end of the range of browsers, screen colors, modem
>speeds (I s'pose combined with phone line speeds?) that it is sensible to
>design for if you want to be as inclusive as possible of Developing world
>Non-Governmental Organisations,  many of whom obviously do not have the
>latest gear?

Moe's advice is excellent!  I'll second everything he said!!

I'd just like to add that many "page counters" and such free stats tools
rely on images - these images will not be downloaded by those with images
turned off or using text viewers/voice browsers.  As a result, many of the
statistics you see quoted provide an artificially false sense of security
by failing to register low-end users.

Let's add to that the value of these low end customers (and let's face it -
very few would CHOOSE to use an old browser).  They are quite likely "low
end" users due to physical or environmental disabilities.  This group of
users are probably more inclined to use ecommerce.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au