Re: Database help/advice

by Dewey Williams <williams(at)email.uncc.edu>

 Date:  Wed, 19 Jan 2000 13:11:30 -0500
 To:  eric(at)blainesoft.com
 Cc:  danswartz(at)pieinc.com, hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Actually, you can use VB or Perl to do this also.  The syntax is not that
difficult, but if you use VB you must use a cgi module, and, of course, be
using a Windows/NT based server.

At 1/4/00 1% -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
>I think you're going to find this is more complicated than you might
>imagine. However...
>
>You have several options. You'll have to use either ASP or possibly
>ColdFusion to get to an Access database.
>
>I can't comment on ColdFusion, since I don't use it. However, Allaire has
>a version of ColdFusion Express that's free on their web site
>(http://www.allaire.com) and might show you how to do it from ColdFusion.
>
>If interland.net supports ASP, here's one way to do it in ASP:
>
>1) Ask your ISP to create an ODBC DSN connection. You can call this
>anything you want, we'll use pieinc. This DSN connection will need to
>point to where your Access database resides. A DSN connection is easier
>for a novice than a DSN-less connection. Make sure the ISP also gives you
>write permission on the database itself.
>
>2) You create an ASP page. This ASP page is the one being called by the
>post method in your form. The page will look something like this:
>
><% @language=VBScript %>
>
><%
>set conn = server.createobject("ADODB.connection")
>conn.open "pieinc"
>' this connects to the database
>

>set rs = server.createobject("adodb.recordset")
>rs.open "mytable", conn, 2, 2
>' where mytable is the name of your table in the database
>' this "connects" to the table in your database
>
>rs.addnew        ' creates a new record in that database/table
>
>rs("firstname") = request.form("firstname")
>
>' where rs("XXXX") is the name of the field in the database and
>' request.form("XXXXX") is the name of the input field from your form
>' repeat this for every input field...
>
>rs.update
>' adds the record
>
>rs.close
>'closes the recordset (i.e. table in this case)
>
>conn.close
>'closes the connection
>
>%>
>

>Wrox Press has an excellent book called Beginning ASP Programming that I
>would recommend.
>

>Eric Anderson
>Blaine Software
>http://www.blainesoft.com
>

>>From: "Daniel B. Swartz, Ph.D., CI, CT" <danswartz(at)pieinc.com>
>>To: <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
>>Subject: Database help/advice
>>Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 05:47:18 -0600
>>
>>Hello Everyone,
>>
>>I would like to learn how to adapt a form so that it dumps information
>>collected into a database (Access).
>>
>>The form, with no script written for handling, and is not "submit ready,"
>>can be found at http://www.pieinc.com/registration.htm
>>
>>I have already designed the form and the database.  I just need to know how
>>to make the "dump" happen.  It is not so much a thing where I need browsers
>>to have access to this database - I just want the form to dump the
>>registration information to the database so that I can access it.
>>
>>I use FP2000 pretty much - I am kind of html "stupid."

> [...]

Dewey Williams - Lab Manager
mailto:williams(at)email.uncc.edu
UNC-Charlotte Chemistry Dept.           http://www.chem.uncc.edu
"These are my ideas and no one else will claim them."
"If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate"