Re: Static Text in Style Sheets

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Thu, 10 Feb 2000 23:36:51 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:50 AM 11/02/00 +0000, you wrote:
><iframe> and <ilayer> are functionally 'simillar'. At this point and until=
 NS
>before 5.0 drops below the 10% usage range if you use one you should=
 probably
>use the other as well. I have seen some clever scripts for switching them=
=20
>around.
>One such script can be found on "The Sims". A new computer game from Maxis.
>It uses it to make the pages for the Sim-family albumn.
>
>That one uses <iframe> and <layer>, but it should get the point across.

In fact you don't even need any fancy scripting to use both.  You can just=
=20
add both <iframe> and <ilayer> to your page and IE and NS will safely=20
ignore the code they don't support.  You can add alternate content between=
=20
the opening and closing <iframe> tags and browsers that support neither=20
will display that instead, sort of like noframe.  It works too if you put=20
the <ilayer> tag inside the opening and closing <iframe> tags like you do=20
for <embed> inside <object>.  I tested this in IE 5.0 and 5.5, NS 4.7 and=20
3.04 as well as Opera 3.61 (all on a Windows machine).  Opera and NS 3.04=20
displayed the alternate text and IE 5.0, 5.5 and NS 4.7 displayed the=20
inline frame/layer using the code they support and safely ignored the=20
alternate text I put within the <iframe> tags, both when I inserted=20
the  <ilayer> code within the <iframe> tags or outside of them.  Actually I=
=20
was surprised that it all worked this well with such simple coding...=
 YMMV...

St=E9phane Bergeron