Re: Relational Databases

by Dave Gorjup <dgorjup(at)mediaone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 06 Apr 2000 18:40:49 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Paul,
I see you've gotten lots of good but conflicting info regarding how to get
into web database development work.

I'm a rookie just starting to climb out of the learning curve hole and
here's what I've found after spending untold hours trying to figure out how
to get started:
1)If you have a Win 9x machine, start with PWS and Access to learn the
basics on your local machine.
2)Go to webmonkey and go through their Access/ASP tutorial.
3)Then d/l Coldfusion Express and run through their tutorials and the one
at webmonkey.
4)Figure out where to go from there.

This is the point I'm at right now and I've developed enough of an
understanding to set up a rudimentary RDBMS intranet site for my
engineering department (still Win98 based). Now I feel confident enough to
take on setting up mySQL and PHP on my Linux machine and do some
investigation on that platform. From there I will make my decision whether
to grow my intranet on our corporate NT system using IIS and SQL or to set
up a node using a Linux platform. (Not to mention that I have to deal with
pervasiveSQL that my MRP and accounting systems run on)

You may also want to download and play with a webserver that runs on 98
called HTTPD Pro. It is much more robust than PWS and it supports most
everything I want to play with except that I haven't been successful with
it using ColdFusion though they claim it should work. (I learned a lot
about configuring webservers from that exercise).

Please no replies about the relative merits of any of the aforementioned
software. There are so many camps that declare their way is the only way
that I decided that I needed to try them all and decide for myself fully
dependent on my own wants and needs. So far the only thing I'm pretty
convinced of is that I really don't want to use ASP.

Hope this helps,
Dave G.

<snip a bunch>