RE: .shtml?

by "Jason K. Chapman" <theguild(at)interserv.com>

 Date:  Thu, 24 Jan 2002 06:33:00 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:26 AM 1/24/2002 +0800, Brett Errington wrote:
>The difference between .asp and .shtml is that .asp is actually a coding
>language processed by the MS engine on top of the basic server. .shtml
>is the commands available from just the basic server (e.g. you can
>retrieve the system date).

SSI also has directives for running CGI, though.  So instead of just
including the system variables or static text blocks, it can also include
the output from, say, a Perl script or C program.  I often use SSI to pull
in CGI output rather than dynamically generating the entire page.

Jason K. Chapman
--
THE HERETIC, a cyber thriller by Jason K. Chapman.
Online edition at <http://www.happyhacker.org/heretic/>. Softcover,