Re: Question

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:17:30 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:08 PM 16/02/01 -0600, you wrote:
>What I can not remember, is the code needed to add which will eliminate
>anyone from copying my source code when trying to view it. I have the
>code which eliminates people from copying any images or text from the
>surface page, and that is Java enhanced. If someone can help me with
>this, I would appreciate it. I have seen sites which have only a few
>lines of code when you look at it but not the rest.

Hi!

As others have already pointed out, hiding HTML source code is not only=20
impossible but quite useless as nothing you might do with HTML can be so=20
revolutionary that you would need to hide the code...

Now when you speak about the code that prevents users from copying images=20
from Web pages, I suppose you mean the JavaScript that prevents users from=
=20
right clicking on Windows?  Not only is that utterly useless and=20
ineffective as well but it's a serious threat to usability and is generally=
=20
regarded as extremely amateurish.  For more on hiding source code see this=
=20
page: http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/hidesource.htm  For more on=20
disabling right clicking and other such tricks see item #10 on this page:=20
http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/dontdoit.htm  Both pages are humorous=
=20
attempts to warn Web authors about things to avoid doing but they hit right=
=20
on the mark most of the time.  Well worth the read IMO...

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron