Re: Another Dumb Tags Issue

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:14:02 -0400
 To:  "Nancy J. Foster" <nancyf(at)quillandmouse.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 06:38 2001-06-15 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Tim,
>
>You're missing the big picture. I mentioned in my original post on this
>thread, here's the problem: Let's say I design a site for a travel
>agency that, naturally, contains all the major airports in the US. MS
>decides to put Smart Tags on all instances of major airport cities,
>linking them to MS-owned Expedia.com. How do you think my client will
>feel knowing their site will have links to a competitor?!

I've been reading about this on this list and the webdesign-l list with=20
much interest.  The big picture that everyone here seems to be missing is=20
that a designer needs to add a lot of rather complex XML like code to their=
=20
pages to "turn on" SmartTags".  Some of that code is used to define the=20
words on the page for which the designer wants the SmartTag button to=20
appear and what links should be added to the small window it opens for that=
=20
word.  It's not like all Web pages on every site on the Web will suddenly=20
arbitrarily display a bunch of SmartTag buttons in IE 6 that link to semi=20
related content, MS created or not.   Someone on the webdesign-l list I=20
believe sent a message explainning this in detail yesterday but the message=
=20
in question is on my home machine and I can't copy the text here at this=20
time.  It seemed to me from reading it that the choice to use SmartTags is=
=20
in the designer's hands so there's nothing to worry about.  Of course this=
=20
is from memory of something I read last night and the truth might be=20
different.  I haven't read the official Microsoft word on this so take the=
=20
above for what it's worth.

Cheers!

St=E9phane Bergeron