Re: ISP Privacy - does your isp do this???

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:04:15 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mike,

It is a growing trend, especially in Australia, to comply with the myriad
of Internet censorship laws passed by the Australia federal parliament of
late.  Perhaps this specific instance is a result of new legislation that I
hear coming into effect at the end of the year?

Here in the USA, there are several pieces of legislation being prepared for
introduction into Congress, or already running through Congress, which
attempt to open up private communications for law enforcement agencies to
use as they see fit.  In one case, legislation passed the US Senate
allowing federal agencies to access Internet communications without a
warrant.  However, while the legislation has yet to pass the House and be
signed by the president to become law, the wording of the legislation is so
bad that it violates the Fourth Amendment on its face.  It can never be
enforced.  It appears to have some basis in the Australian 1999 ASIO
Amendment which allows for warrantless searches of any computer in
Australia -- something which Australians have no protection against under
the Constitution.

Keep in mind the Australian Privacy laws only apply directly to the federal
government.  If legislation requires ISPs to collect private information on
behalf of the government, the ISPs are exempt from the privacy law even
though the government is the recipient of the information.   The devil is
in the details.

Dennis