Re: Browsers - Was... Javascript usage in site

by ClassAct <classactdesign(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Wed, 02 Jan 2002 03:51:54 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:05 PM 1/1/2002 -0700, Kathy wrote:
>(NOTE: for those who missed it this is a heavilly sarcastic reflection on
>people who code only for IE, not checking in Netscape/Mozilla, and believe
>their logs reflect a true cross-section of web
>users. If your sites don't work in NN (any version) then NN users aren't
>going to stay there to make an impact on your logs now ... are they?

I disagree. Log files record even just a brief visit to any one page.
Otherwise, we would be missing the boat with 404 or other errors, amongst
other stuff of marketing/demographic values.

Furthermore, having worked extensively with Europeans, including government
entities, Latin Americans, and just plain American folks as a computer
consultant/trainer/reseller and upgrading their systems, I know what they
have in those machines and Netscape/Mozilla is not it. It's been rare to
find clients these last two years who have Netscape installed.

I had a chance to tour Netscape's Swedish office back in '96. You are
right. They were very plush digs and none of the branches were inclined to
deal with small-time business owners. They blew it big time with the
resellers while MS catered to our every whim (to their own ends no doubt).

To D:
< Once it does, it will be the equivalent of a 7.0 release for the major
browser manufacturers>
IMHO, It's to late.. just getting the regular folks to install it in their
machines will take an act of God!  (see my last comment)

To Paul Wilson
< I know, I bought a 1.2 version for Windows 95> So did I... the heck if I
know why !

To Larry Coats
< AOL decides to use it instead of IE for it's next release of AOL> I think
they are still have a contract but are not in agreement (nothing new here)?
not sure... I have long suspected that AOL bought Netscape to just get it
out of "circulation" .. it's a wild thought but I won't discard it. This is
just my opinion though.

Another factor. MS does not consider Netscape/Mozilla nor the W3C a threat.
If they did, they would not provide support for the NN/Mozilla browser in
new OS just like they did to Java, unless forced to make windows open source.

And what about javascript? more and more I see scripts developed for "IE
only"... This is the current trend and sad state of affairs!

MS made a statement about 4 or 5 years ago... some of you may remember...
As latecomers to the Internet they were criticized/laughed at when they
stated they would "rule/own" the Internet.. I'm not laughing today!

Nora S.
classactdesign(at)yahoo.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~kktua/