Browser Woes (Was Incorrectly Called Re: Netscape woes again...)

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:01:15 -0800
 To:  Nate Harel <nharel(at)nettech-services.net>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Nate,

Change your BODY tag from ...

<.BODY bgcolor="#FFFFFF" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0">

<.BODY bgcolor="#FFFFFF" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" marginwidth="0"
marginheight="0">

The problem is not Netscape.  The problem is a failure to use code relative
to the correct browser(s) you wish to render the page.  You only included
code for IE.  The problem is eliminated by using proprietary code for each
browser in the tag since you are using non-standard code here.  It is not a
Netscape fault.

You have an unused CSS reference.  Not good.

You have ...

<.link rel="stylesheet" href="basic.css">
<.script language="JavaScript">
-- JavaScript here --
</script>
<.STYLE type="text/css">
<!--
-->
<./STYLE>

Change this to ...

<.link rel="stylesheet" href="basic.css">
<.script language="JavaScript">
-- JavaScript here --
</script>

As for the repeating background, someone else has to help since I need to
see your external CSS file.  Netscape does not provide it (we have banned
all use of IE where I work) so someone else with access to your CSS file
will need to help.  I suspect your CSS file is using code that Netscape
cannot render as you would like it.  There are work-arounds to achieve the
desired result.

As an aside, you can reduce your code bloat by changing lines such as this ...

<.td width="80"> <.span class="menuselect"><.a
href="pages/aboutus.html"><.span

to something similar to this ...

<.td width="80" class="menuselect"><.a href="pages/aboutus.html"
class="menuselect">Resources</a></td>

Kukla