Re: time period for domain renewal

by Collette McNeill <collette(at)mlwebworks.com>

 Date:  Wed, 03 Apr 2002 08:15:50 -0800
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
According to what my ISP told me, the rule/law is that you cannot transfer
your domain name to another registrar WITHIN 30 or 60 days of registering
that domain. You can transfer registrars at any point afterwards.

I had a new client recently looking for his own local web host...the
company he picked told my client that he couldn't have e-mail from his .biz
domain (recently registered with GoDaddy) sent to his ComCast email account
BECAUSE OF THIS RULE against transferring registrars.

Sounds fishy?  It was.  After speaking with these people myself, I
determined that the web host was re-selling space for some company in New
York, and was under some pressure to get new accounts to transfer domain
name registration.  The kicker was that the web host was 1) not up front
about the fact that it's not neccessary to change registrars in order to
set up a new hosting account and 2) willing to keep my client from
establishing his business (and .biz)  in order to gain a stinking $14.95
for transferring the domain name and a higher per annum for domain name
registration.  Needless to say, we've got things straightened out now.

What is going on? Why this huge push to generate what...$35/year/domain, by
hook or by crook? Is something about to happen to  change the cost
structure of registering domain names which would prompt registrars to
scramble for fees while they can?

Puzzled.
Collette