Re: NetScape Irritation!!!

by Kid Stevens <Kidstevens(at)comcast.net>

 Date:  Wed, 26 Jun 2002 21:58:16 -0600
 To:  HWG-Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Instead of screaming that at the list why not add serious advice.

The little ISP that can't afford it, the web hosting company that cares
less or a network that needs a security manager at 120 an hour, what a
choice.

The fact of life is if you use M$ products or UNIX and the machine is on
the net two tons of software can't stop a determined hacker.

The only computer system that can not be hacked from the Internet is a Mac
or Mac clone running OS8.1 to 9.2 with TCPIP 1.1.7 to 2.7.6.  Prior to
TCP/IP 1.1.7 the only hack you could do is denial of service.  Which
hammers at the connection until the connection fails from buffer overload.
The later Mac TCPIP stacks dump the packets during a flood so only proper
packets get through.

http://search.cert.org/query.html?rq=0&ht=0&qp=&qs=&qc=&pw=100%25&ws=1&la=&qm=0&st=1&nh=25&lk=1&rf=2&oq=&rq=0&si=1&qt=Apache+1.3.12&x=23&y=8&col=allcert

That is a list of vulnerabilities centered around Apache 1.3.12 that her
server uses.

http://search.cert.org/query.html?col=allcert&ht=0&qp=&qt=FreeBSD+3.5&qs=&qc=&pw=100%25&ws=1&la=en&qm=0&st=1&nh=25&lk=1&rf=2&rq=0&si=1

A listing of FreeBSD 3.5 errors the version her server uses.

As for putting security on it the personal programs can be killed and the
professional ones can die and let the hackers in.  A firewall is only as
good as the firewall's manager.  A server with firewall services on it is
just as bad as no firewall.

--
Sincerely,
Kid Stevens

"I spend so much time alone that I begin to lose my humanity."
Yes I stole that from the movie "Wing Commander" and changed 3 words to suit me