Re: Table trouble

by KeithWBell(at)aol.com

 Date:  Thu, 27 Jan 2000 07:06:11 EST
 To:  KAnear(at)pacificaccess.com.au,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
KAnear(at)pacificaccess.com.au writes:

> I'm having a horrid time with a table and I'm hoping that someone may be
>  able to help me out with it.

Hi Kersti

A quick run through the W3C validator (a useful tool; always worth checking
when you run into trouble like this!) throws out more than 60 errors, but I
think the ones that are giving you most grief are these:

Line 27, column 26:
          <MAP NAME="navtop">
                            ^
Error: document type does not allow element "MAP" here; missing one of "TH",
"TD" start-tag
(You opened a MAP element immediately following a TR, which isn't valid HTML.
TH and TD can contain MAPs, however.)

Line 43, column 51:
          <TR BGCOLOR="#FFCC00"><FORM NAME="shortcut">
                                                     ^
Error: document type does not allow element "FORM" here; missing one of "TH",
"TD" start-tag
(You opened a FORM element immediately following a TR, which isn't valid
HTML. Again, TH and TD can contain FORM.)

Line 44, column 11:
          <TD>[Unable to display image][Unable to display image]</TD></TR>
                                                        ^
Error: end tag for "FORM" omitted, but its declaration does not permit this
(Just syas that given where you started the FORM, this is where the validator
would expect to see it end - but it doesn't.)

These are followed by a whole string of what you might call "secondary"
errors all resulting from improper placing of form and table elements.

I think if you get your table, map and form elements sorted out (taking
account of which elements are allowed to contain which) it will fix your
trouble.

HTH
Keith Bell