Re: Identifying location by host IP number

by David Sharp <David.Sharp(at)sharp-words.com>

 Date:  Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:29:28 +0200
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 15:42 +0300 25/06/00, Lauri V=94in wrote:

>You could also use TraceRoute to see which computers are between you and th=
>target to see where the target is from. People are usually connected to ISP
>near them so you can find out where they are quite precisely.

etc.

What I'm looking for is not a way to trace individual users after the
event - but a mechanism that will map IP numbers to a regional table
on the fly, and route users to a different page depending on their
presumed geographical region.

=46or example, a user presumed to be located in North America would see
a different page to someone in Europe or Asia.

=46or this what is required is:

-- an environment variable that provides the true IP number of the
end-user (and not that of a proxy, which may be situated in a totally
different part of the world to the user)

-- a table which maps blocks of IP numbers to world regions and/or countries=
=2E

Is this possible, and if so, where can I find the required resources?

[I realise that the answer to my question may be somewhere in the
vast documentation of the www.arin.net or www.icann.org sites, but I
was hoping that someone on this list would have a quick answer]

Thanks for any help.

David Sharp, journaliste, France http://www.sharp-words.com/
Tel (home) 331 42 64 35 94  - (office) 331 40 41 47 92
  E-mail <david.sharp(at)sharp-words.com>	ICQ: 16881741