Re: Low end users

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Fri, 12 May 2000 14:42:46 -0700
 To:  Adrian Harris <adrian(at)gn.apc.org>,
hwg-techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Reading between the lines, I think you are very right to design for
fairly primitive users. Incorporate fancier features when they add
something; and know how many users you are alienating.

To answer the question you actually asked: there a -few- users of the
most primitive setups imaginable, so it's not a question of what's
minimal, rather where you want to cut it off. According to Jared
Spool of user interface Engineering (uie.com), Yahoo and EBay test on
Netscape 2.x browsers. Amazon tests on Netscape 1.x and apparently
has just two systems in house that will run their primitive test
browser. He likes to show a list of the Mediametrix top 10 and
suggests designers look at the technology used for them. Largely
caveman stuff. Yahoo is no beauty queen but she -is- the queen!

Beyond what you mention, don't forget WebTV, various minimal
browsers, and perhaps even handheld units. Remember the blind and
people who run with graphics turned off. And the many people who
deliberately eschew Java, Javascript, and Flash.

There are sites that list how many people are using what.

I make my designers design for NN3 and MIE3 and (with some compromises) WebTV.

Modem speeds. Sadly, designers use DSL and T1 while users are using
modems. 56K modems usually run around 35K. International and rural
users often have slow connections. Remember road warriors using a
laptop and a hotel room phone. So we assume 28.8. Our pages are under
20K where possible, almost never above 40K total. Sometimes my
designers grumble but my site's users send love letters.

I strive to keep width below 550 pixels but cheat it to 600 or 650 on
occasion, keeping in mind that the things to the right might not be
seen or might print on separate pages.

Graphics under 5K are fine -- but I know of a page with 75 graphics
under 2K. Not good. I compress graphics religiously -- trick is to
reduce GIF colors as much as possible, by trial and error, as that is
a primary contributor to fat graphics.

We use PDF. We don't use Flash, Java. We use Javascript as lightly as
possible. We hand-tweak the HTML on our most often visited pages. We
don't use frames.

Moe

Subject: Low end users
Author: Adrian Harris