Re: Navigation Bars

by Figment <figment(at)figment.org>

 Date:  Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:50:19 -0400
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
<Wow, there ARE people on this list!>

At 09:53 AM 4/28/99 +1000, Christopher Higgs wrote:
>It isn't only that the viewers read top to bottom, left to right, but that
>the browser does to!  The top left corner is where it starts.  Browsers
>which cannot handle tables will display right-hand menus either at the
>bottom of the text, or half-way through the page if you have multiple rows.

That's why I changed mine.  I had a BEAUTIFUL layout with the links on the
right.  Sigh.  Looked at it on Lynx and realized that my links on the right
and my links on the bottom were right on top of each other on the bottom of
the page in this text-based browser.

>That certainly sounds undesirable to me :-)

Sigh.  I still dream of that beautiful design... <g>

>Admittedly there aren't that many non-tables compliant browsers out there
>nowadays, but I guess inertia and force of habit have set in.

I think there are more people using text-based browsers than one would
think.  Not to get into THAT argument again, but I found out quite a few
regular visitors to my site were using Lynx.  A couple made a point to
thank me for designing in a way that looked good for them.  And once I set
up my Linux box, I started using Lynx quite often rather than deal with
that odd implementation of Netscape that's not very friendly when you don't
have a mouse...  There's a few web authors out there whose ears were
probably burning at the curses I was putting on them for their awful
designs.  (Don't even get me started on frames sites that rely **100%** on
javascript navagation...)

Anyway, that's why *I* put the links on the right.  But that's just me.  <g>

Cherie

---
Visit T.O.R.C.H. - The Official R.T.A-F.* Collector's Haven!
The official Web site for the people of rec.toys.action-figures.*,
and for anyone who still plays with toys!
http://www.figment.org/torch/