Flash accessibility [Re: Waking the list up (was 'elo ?)]

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Wed, 03 May 2000 12:49:36 +1000
 To:  Luke Opperman <luko(at)rocketmail.com>,
hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:21 2/05/00 -0700, Luke Opperman wrote:
>CSS and other tech that take underlying clean HTML 4.0 and make it
>attractive and
>interactive are a utopia in comparison...except for the browser
>compatibility issue.
>If SVG (Something Vector Graphics) ever becomes an accepted standard, it
>may be the
>replacement for Flash. Though Flash is quickly becoming a defacto standard
>on it's
>own...

I think this is a bit like arguing that sound files should be compatible
for deaf viewers.

Flash is predominantly visual/audio - accessibility for disabled viewers
will depend upon how well alternatives (eg voice overs and subtitles) are
included in the flash movie.

The "accessibility" part could also be included externally via SMIL -
synchronised multimedia integration language, although I haven't played
around with it myself:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-smil/

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au