Re: books & mozilla

by "Garreth Galligan" <ggalligan(at)transcomsoftware.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:48:08 +0100
 To:  <hwg-xml(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Guys, I apologise if I have gone and confused the issue :( :( :(
I hoped to clarify what XHMTL is but I seemed to have knocked the discussion
off track.

What I have said is 100% accurate, in a technical sense. But perhaps this
thread is more geared towards concepts familiar to HTML authors and I wasn't
being sensitive to the practical terms you are considering.

The XHMTL is HTML as far as the fuzzy parsers in the non-XML browsers are
concerned.
So in this context describing XHTML as an 'in between' is entirely correct
as the old browsers can 'do something' with it in a manner which they can't
with other applications of XML.

What I was saying is this:
XHTML is an application of XML. I expect to be able to do anything with that
document that I can do with any application of XML. If I cannot, than XHTML
is obviously not supported by that user-agent. In a *techinal context* XML
isn't 'in between' HTML and XML - it is XML.