IE5 and XML (was) Re: books & mozilla

by "Tammy Scroggs" <tscroggs(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:59:38 -0700
 To:  liz(at)schreiber.lakeheadu.ca
 Cc:  hwg-xml(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

25 Apr 00, at 21:25, Liz wrote:

> Yes, you are right, I meant Netscape 6
>
> but Netscape 6 is not released it is in PREVIEW (and not all of its
> feature work in the Preview), as far as I know.
> http://www.netscape.com/download/previewrelease.html
>
> Also, IE 5.x is the only release browser, as far as I know, that has a
> built-in XML parser that conforms to the W3C recommendations.

Question:  Does IE 5 (especially the earlier version) really conform to
the W3C's XML recommended standards?  My understanding (or at least my
memory) was that this was not entirely true.  Due to timing I thought IE 5
came out prior to the XML recommendation being released meaning MS did not
have the final standard to work against.  Sooooo, Microsoft made some best
guesses of what it would be (or how they wanted it to be) and ran with
that in releasing 5.0.  I've also read that the differences between IE and
Netscape implementation of XML will continue the problems with cross
browser compatibility.

Tammy

HWG hwg-xml mailing list archives, maintained by Webmasters