Re: IE5 and XML (was) Re: books & mozilla

by Liz <liz(at)schreiber.lakeheadu.ca>

 Date:  Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:18:47 -0500
 To:  hwg-xml(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Well, since the XML became a Recommendation Feb 98 and IE5 was not
released until
March 99 (approx), I would say that IE5 conforms to the XML version 1.0
Recommendations.
(Namespaces became a recommendation Jan 99)

Other XML "related" recommendations have come out since March 99 and of
course, IE5
couldn't conform fully with them since they were after the IE5 release.
(ie  Associating Stylesheets, Jun '99, and XSLT/XPath, Nov '99)

Microsoft has an updated XML parser available on their site. :-)

The W3C continues to work hard on various XML related issues.

I wonder how Netscape 6 (and also IE) is going to handle the XLink and
XPointer, and XSL, Schemas etc.,
issues since they are not yet firm recommendations. (among other items
that various W3C working
groups are at work on)........

So, if you mean IE5 doesn't fully conform with ALL XML areas, I think
being a "fully conforming parser"
is going to be difficult until things settle down a little with XML.
IMHO :-)

Liz Boutilier

> Question:  Does IE 5 (especially the earlier version) really conform to
> the W3C's XML recommended standards?  My understanding (or at least my
> memory) was that this was not entirely true.  Due to timing I thought IE 5
> came out prior to the XML recommendation being released meaning MS did not
> have the final standard to work against.  Sooooo, Microsoft made some best
> guesses of what it would be (or how they wanted it to be) and ran with
> that in releasing 5.0.  I've also read that the differences between IE and
> Netscape implementation of XML will continue the problems with cross
> browser compatibility.
>
> Tammy

HWG hwg-xml mailing list archives, maintained by Webmasters