RE: Web Fonts

by "Elias Thienpont" <elias(at)assumptionabbey.com>

 Date:  Wed, 6 Oct 1999 16:04:02 -0600
 To:  "HTML Writers Guild / Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You can purchase all of the fonts you like, but it will do you no good.
Fonts are controlled by the people who view the site, and not by the people
who create the site.
The best you can hope to do is to suggest a short list of fonts (in your
code) and the user's computer will try to match them if it has them,
otherwise it will use its own default fonts. A computer user also has the
option of refusing any of your fonts and selecting one of his own to be used
on all of the pages he visits. You will need to design your texts to be
generic and simple. When you *need* a font, for a title or something, make a
transparent .gif of the text and use that. Keep this to a minimum as it will
increase loading times.

Elias

Sender: owner-hwg-basics(at)hwg.org

Dear Experts

I am involved in small business marketing of which web site planning and

layout is now playing an integral part.  I do the write ups for my
clients and work with several individuals who are considered to be good
web masters; however, I have come up against one obstacle when working
with them and not one of them can give me a proper answer with respect
to a list of web site fonts that I may utilize when designing the layout

for my clients' respective sites.   I create some of the graphics and
give them the text in a font that reflects the client's image;
consequently, it creates no end of problems when the web masters I am
working with are at loss because they cannot match the font.  It causes
grief on both sides; consequently, without a list of proper web site
fonts, this situation will continue to exist.

I am now writing to see if you can guide me in the right direction to
where I might obtain a listing or even purchase a cd containing such
usable fonts in
order to prevent further problems of this nature.  I am a MAC user as
well as my the other web masters I am working with.  Any help in the
right direction would be sincerely appreciated.

Sincerely
Lynne McMullan