Re: can this be done?

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:01:16 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jennifer:

The problem here is that Netscape is going to balk at background colors in
tables and cells and such.  It will render your cells "transparent" with the
page background color or image showing through. There was a discussion about
Netscape supporting Cell backgrounds and not Table backgrounds, (or was it
the other way around?) Anyway--one supposedly works and the other doesn't.

I have just pulled up my newsmagazine in Netscape 4.7. It showed the main
table's background color of white but individual cells were dropped out,
allowing the background image to show through. However--in a nested table
over the main table--the cell background colors were all there. (Go-figure)

Three choices. None good but some food for thought. Select the lesser of the
evils.

1. Ignore Netscape. Of course--if you do--you should at least choose a color
or image UNDER the table that will still allow the text in the table to be
read. Netscape users just wont see the effect you want them to.  This should
not be a major problem as Netscape users must--by this time--be quite used
to missing half the stuff on many web sites. I know cause I've tried surfing
with Netscape. And a lot of goodies on many sites "just ain't there".

2. Use a colored image in the cell rather than a background color and use
CSS to center the text over it. Course--that way you will lose even more
browsers.

Speaking of CSS, you could just use CSS to change color of the text as you
mouse over. It will even change the background color BEHIND THE TEXT. (Not
the whole cell) Yes--it is IE-5 only but in this case the Netscape users
would never know the difference. That is what I do in my magazine. I "fancy"
it up for IE browsers but make sure it is still readable for the Netscape
people.

3. Bite the bullet and use image mouse-overs. Sure they take forever to
load. Just offer your visitors a cup of coffee while they're waiting.
(Slight clearing of throat)

And what's worse, of course--using a JavaScript this advanced may well poop
out in all browsers prior to the 4+ versions anyway.

And yes--if you Validate your code--you will probably get an error on a lot
of the "stuff" not supported by Netscape. I'm not too sure how much help
that will be for you however. You already KNOW it don't work in Netscape.
Hence your question.

I'm sorry I don't have a real answer. There are just some things that don't
work in Netscape. I suspect your original basic JavaScript code was correct.
Just not NN compatible.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA