Re: getting started. need suggestions.

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Wed, 12 Jan 2000 15:11:05 -0500
 To:  <Seaforest(at)aol.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Hi everyone.
>
>   I'd like to learn to create graphics for the web, and I'd like to teach
> myself how to do it, instead of going to school for it.  If anyone could
give
> me some advice on what programs to begin with: photoshop, illustrator,
flash,
> etc.. and what books would be a good start for a person that doesn't know
> anything about these programs or graphics in general.
>
>   If you could respond to me individually, I'd appreciate it, because I
get
> the digest form of this newsletter which doesn't appear that often.
>
>   Thanks.
> -chris

The programs you mention above are expensive and complex, not the kind of
thing you want to use if your just seeing if you like working on web pages.
If you were taking courses in college or decided this was your profession,
thats different.

For a starter, I recommend Paint Shop Pro 6.0 from http://www.jasc.com/ for
beginners.  Its easy to use, gives excellent results, and does more than a
lot of expensive programs.  The SPG Web Tools combined package at $30.00
higher is a GREAT add-on even if you don't know what they do now.  6 Months
from now you will love SPG Web Tools.

Take a look at: http://mardiweb.com/web/  which has some great tutorials on
PSP under PSP 5.

If you want to put your work into HTML you probably want a good editor.
Adobe's Pagemill at  http://www.adobe.com/products/pagemill/ writes proper
HTML code.  You can view in WYSIWYG mode or switch to text mode.  This
allows you to lay out tables and add links with ease, yet plug away at the
text level when you want to add something out of the ordinary.

Another great one is Hotmetal Pro 6 which I use.  It has a lot more features
but is a little harder to use. It also creates only proper HTML. See it at:
http://www.softquad.com

All the programs listed above are affordably under $100.00 and very
functional.  They each also have a sharware version if you want to try them
out.

Later if you find you need to do a lot of serious drawing, get a copy of
Corel Draw 8 or 9.  Its not cheap or shareware, but it works well.  You can
usually get it on Ebay for a lot less than a local computer store.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net
http://abcwaterbed.com