Re: Several Domains - One Server?

by "Debra Sawyers" <dsawyers(at)ptd.net>

 Date:  Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:55:41 -0400
 To:  "HWG-Basics" <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I would have to think that design and structure are going to be key factors
to this.  Although EXTREMELY unpopular with most of this crowd... frames
would be a valid option for keeping site branding and navigation in one
frame (or two if necessary) and the shared content in the main frame.  Keep
each domain's individual information in separate folders, with the shared
content in its own folder set.

One of the sites I work with deals heavily with ASP, using file includes for
its common navigation.  We have quite a bit of database driven pages too.
Again this will really depend on the content and needs of your site.

I'd really recommend doing a lot of storyboarding, and determining what will
be the best course of action for your sites.  Keeping in mind also that as
your sites grow, they may need some content separation...when you plan, also
try to think about where your site will be in another year.... and then 2 or
3.  A little extra thought and effort now can save some major headaches in
the near future.

Deb